Can chickens give coccidiosis to dogs?

ScrambledAcresFarm

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2008
Caulfield, Missouri
I have a nice kennel(heat, air, ventilation, water, lights). Thought I might turn the end of the building into a place to raise chicks over the winter.
Any thought from anyone?
fl.gif

1) Yes, dogs can get coccidiosis from eating the droppings of coccidia-infected chickens.

2) Healthy, uncrowded chickens are unlikely to pass it on.

3) Healthy, vigorous dogs are unlikely to contract it.

4) If the dogs are kenneled and the chicks are contained, they won't be eating droppings.

I'd frankly be more concerned about air quality. The feather dust from growing chicks could have an adverse effect on the dogs' lungs. If it is a brachycephalic or delicate breed, this could get serious quickly. If the dogs are working dogs who use their noses, a "small" effect could be serious. Can you close off the chick area with polyethylene sheets or some other way? Can you ventilate it separately?

I just noticed that this thread is in the BST category. It really should be moved over to a more appropriate category. You are more likely to get some useful input that way,

I've always known coccidia to be species specific from my dealings of it in my goats. But I would be concerned about respiratory issues from the dogs being exposed to the bird dander and some of the fungi spores that can live in the bedding.

Moved to emergencies/diseases/injuries and cures.

To my knowledge, cocci is species specific, and there are multiple strains per species, and multiple variations of cocci per species depending on where you live. Often an animal has to be sick, stressed, or in conditions where the parasite survives very well in the soil and is eaten by a new host. Another possibility is animals without a built up resistance such as baby chicks brooded in "sterile" brooders and all the sudden introduced to soil with this protozoa at 6-8 weeks old. Early exposure in chickens is a good thing.

Dogs can in fact get coccidia from chickens if they eat droppings which are infected. This presents a problem if u have more than one dog. The yard must be completely cleaned constantly so the parasite doesn't get into dirt to infect the other dogs. But it is best to treat all your dogs if you can. I know this from personal experience. My one a pup loved to go lay down with the chickens we thought it was so cute but then she started eating poop so we had to keep her out of their pen. Too late, she started getting a little such took her to the vet she had coccidia. Couldn't understand where she might have gotten until the vet started asking questions such as "when you walk her has she been around ducks where she could have eaten droppings". Nope, but she loves to go out to our chickens. The problem we think is we purchased peeps from tractor supply and she always went to be with the baby chicks. But then we purchased chickens from a farmer and I think because of the over crowded situations they came from they had coccidia and when she stared going to those chickens is when she got it.

I have an uncrowded, very roomy chicken coop and my chickens are fed top-quality food. They also free-range and yet, we have still had some coccidiosis. Flies, roaches can pass it along. If anyone here has chickens and no flies, please share your secret.

I have a litter of very vigorous puppies and one has just been diagnosed with "coxcidea". Not weakened, sick dogs.

Being given advice such as "keep your dogs and chickens penned up" is unrealistic. Who lives in a completely sterile environment?

There seems to be a little confusion on this board. Cocci and coccidia are two separate organisms. Cocci are any type of spherical bacterium like Staphylococcus or Streptococcus bacteria. Coccidia are a type of single-celled protozoal parasites more similar to Cryptosporidium and Giardia. There are many species of coccidia that infect the intestinal tracts of animals and all species appear to be host-specific. Cats have species of Isospora, Besnoitia, Toxoplasma, Hammondia, and Sarcocystis. Dogs have species of Isospora, Hammondia, and Sarcocystis. Neither dogs nor cats have Eimeria which are the species that we find in poultry, ruminants, etc. You will occasionally find Eimeria in the fecal samples of cats and dogs but they are non-pathogenic and do not cause any issues or require treatment.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/digestive-system/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis

Back
Top Bottom