CAN CHICKENS GIVE HUMANS MITES?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by sunbury chick, Jan 4, 2009.

1. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    I DON'T KNOW IF I JUST HAVE DRY SKIN (FROM WINTER WEATHER)OR WHAT, bUT I ITCH ALL OVER.COULD IT BE MITES FROM MY CHICKENS....EVERYTIME I THINK ABOUT IT,I HAVE TO SCRATCH!PLEASE TELL ME IT'S NOT SO.....HELP:(

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have never heard of a human having mites, so if I were you I would get some gold bond lotion and slather yourself down.

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Nope.

The mites chickens get are species specific, they can't live on humans.

4. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Not sure on that one....however if you have other animals....horses, sheep etc you can pick up the scabies mite.....

Need a better description of "itch all over".....do you have little red spots anywhere?

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    ..[​IMG]....i hope not!...[​IMG]

6. stephys_fluffybutts

stephys_fluffybutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    chickensmackdown
    I have accidently gotten in to wild birds nests before. And They will go to any place that are warm even if it is a person. But they can not live on other species for a long period of time.
    So make sure you have lots of flea shampoo lol

Sometimes if you just think about it then you will itch.

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    No, they are host specific. If I sit here and think about it, I would start itching.

8. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    God, I have the same itchies. Since it's where my clothes have the most contact, I'm thinking detergent. Or dry skin. One thing that I know has been making me itch is it's "no see-ums" season. I know they're not from the chickens cause I've been getting them on me sitting on the porch. They're very tiny and I am slathered right now in caladryl. They are very tiny like the name says.

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    Quote:My son just finally got rid of his scabies. It took 3 Dr's visits to figure out what he had. It is horrible. I hope you don't have it.

10. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    This was good to know, I have often wondered about this. If I accidently brought these into the house without knowing I know I would be the first to get blamed hehehe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by