Can Chickens Hatch Ducklings?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rechellef, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Rechellef

Rechellef Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2011
    I have 1 Peking 1 Kahki/Peking mix that lay eggs evreyday. I also have a Peking drake who makes sure they are fertilized. However, none of my ducks are broody, but my Golden Laced Wayandotte is. She has been sitting on the ducks eggs for about 10 days now. With the gestation period being 28 days, can she hatch them with a longer gestation period or will she desert them after 21 days?

2. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    She'll hatch them. A broody hen can stay broody for 3 months on golf balls, so 28 days with ducks isn't anything for her. Just make sure she comes off the nest and poop and eat and drink.

3. EquestrianGal

EquestrianGal Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I haven't had them hatch ducks, but I have had chickens hatch guineas (they have a 28 day incubation period) and do just great.

4. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    My japanese bantam hatched and raised a pekin [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Yes, she can hatch them. I have it happen frequently on my little farm. Both my chickens and turkeys hatch ducklings with no problems. See pic below of the duckling that was hatched under these 3 mamas (chicken and turkeys). They took turns stealing the duck egg.

[​IMG]

6. feather2

feather2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    north haven, ct
    I have an Ameracana who went broody in the third week of April. I put runner eggs in her nest six days ago. Hoping for the best.

7. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Yep my bantam cochin hatched out 2 call ducks, another hen hatched 4.

Here is petunia with her 2 ducklings... She was a bit baffled by how fast they grew!
    [​IMG]

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:They are too cute. LOL @ she is baffled by how fast they grew. She will be even more baffled in a few weeks when they have grown even more.

9. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Ty! [​IMG] She only had 14 days with them, I hatched them out for a friend who raises calls. By the time they left here they were the same size as her. She did very well with them once they trained her to leave them alone when they are swimmin in the waterer LOL.

10. bilsie

bilsie Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2012
    Our broody Buff Orpington is raising her second batch (2) of ducklings first one was (4) I have found this is the easyest way to increase the flock, not that we need more but need has nothing to do with it. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by