Can Chickens Have Cabbage or Potato Skins?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ilovemypeeps, Oct 4, 2011.

1. ilovemypeeps

ilovemypeeps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Someone told me my chickens shouldn't have cabbage or potato skins. Is this true or is it safe to go ahead and give them the scraps? Thanks!

2. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I believe they cannot have either item raw. I feed mine potatos all the time after I've cooked them, and they havn't croaked yet [​IMG]

My general rule of thumb is that I have to eat what comes out of my chickens, so generally speaking I only feed them cooked scraps so I don't have to worry about heebie jeebies getting into their system and thus into mine.

And yes, heebie jeebie is a technical and scientifically sound term [​IMG]

Edit: I found a really helpful chart of items chickens can eat. I love BYC! https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  3. Americana

Americana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Dunnellon, Florida
    No to the potato skins( green tubers, raw peels and sprouts) They can get potato poisoning .
    Raw cabbage is ok as long as it's not moldy

4. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    Potato poisoning??????

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Cabbage is one of their favorite foods, flat out. I'd have killed many chickens over the last 50 years if cabbage was somehow dangerous. [​IMG]

6. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I feed my chickens cabbage. They love it. It's a winter food I give them. I hang it in the coop and they just peck the heck out of it. They love it. As for raw potatoes including skins.... no, they are not good for chickens. I believe they are toxic for them. If they are cooked it's ok.

7. Jcmc

Jcmc New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    My girls love mashed potato! So do I,[​IMG] I gave them raw cabbage, I agree with Americana, as long as it's not moldy.

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Potato skins are fine as long as there's no green on them, Cabbage is perfectly fine.

9. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Cabbage is a MUST -- any part of the cabbage (leaves, head, core)!

10. ntjpm

ntjpm Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Once my girls figured out the cabbage toy they went nuts for it. They LOVE it!! Here is a short video it took of them going after their cabbage. Just click on the picture and it will take you to the video.

[​IMG]

Tracy in WA

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by