Can chickens have cancer?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Avalon1984, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Avalon1984

Avalon1984 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    I lost a younger and runty chicken the other day and when I examed it, I found what looks to be a small cancerous growth on its side. It looked almost blue-ish, like a wart. Has anybody every witnessed chickens having cancer or has pictures? I should have taken a picture but I got busy and just buried the bird (smart of me, I know [​IMG] ). I searched throught he topics and couldn't find a picture. Just wondering. Thank you all!

2. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Yes, cancer is a biggie. Unfortunately, we can't cure it in humans, so it doesn't seem too important in a little chicken.
    I had a little bantam girl, died of liver cancer.

3. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:I had a funny feeling that it was something like that. Too bad. I like the little guy. Are there specific signs that would point you towards suspecting cancer maybe? My little one became lethargic basically overnight, I took him out, fed electrolyte water, hard boiled eggs and he perked back up. He was bright eyed but died 2 days after out of nowhere. That is when I saw the funny spot and thought instantly it must be cancer. Once I examined it I also noticed that it was fairly skinny and that all of its feather were hiding that very well.

4. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    No, it's hard to detect till it's too late. All birds will hide an illness, even from us, to avoid being preyed upon (eaten).
    It's unfortunately a fact of life. When I found my little Polly was sick, her liver was shutting down, and fluids were backing up in her abdomen. She looked like a bowling ball with 2 little feet!
    I took her to my vet, and we drained her abdomen once a week for about 2 months. I weighed her every day to check her progress.
    She did ok for a while, but finally gave in. We had the vet do an autopsy, and all inside her was cancer.

5. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:[​IMG] So sad to hear that. I checked each and every other chicken in that house after his passing and all others seem fine. I guess just another day at the farm where life and death is a daily occurance. [​IMG]

6. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Hey, I just noticed...are you the one that got rear-ended a while ago? It seems life hasn't been so good to you lately...

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I read somewhere that only Sharks don't get cancer

8. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Yup. Thats me [​IMG] Rear-ended, 2 horses coliced, my breeding plans for the year are shot, chicky dying...oh well. Next year will be better for sure [​IMG]

9. Avalon1984

Dec 22, 2010
    Muskegon
    Quote:Must...feed...sharks...to...the...chickens....

10. stoopid

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Well, I hope things look better for you, I wish you strength.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by