Can chickens have cat food?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MsChickenMomma, Dec 2, 2012.

1. MsChickenMomma

MsChickenMomma Overrun With Chickens

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    I have been giving them a little cat food (dry) twice everyday for a while now, and I wanted to make sure that it isn't harming them in any way. Because if it is I will stop giving it to them. We origanally started giving it to them for extra protein. Also, what's another way that I can give them extra protein? Thanks everyone. :D

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Oooh, I do this all the time and have never encountered serious problems [​IMG] I think sometimes it gives them a bit of runny poo, but haven't noticed any strange effects. I would say to be cautious of cat food containing chicken, but the stuff is cooked almost to death anyway and I never worry about it. And as you must know, they go CRAZY for the little kibbles!

Other sources of protein are cooked beans and rice, other legumes, whole grains, leftover meat that's old but not spoiled (hamburger, sausage, etc.), and tuna fish.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I have a bantam who routinely visits my front porch and helps herself to the dry food in the cats bowl. Not all day long, just a few pieces every other morning or so. Been doing it for most of her 4 years and she is beautiful and healthy so I would say in moderation or as a treat it's fine.

4. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Okay thank you! I haven't noticed anything. But I wanted to make sure it was okay for them. The stuff I give them has some chicken in it, but it also has turkey and tuna and I think beef. It's a multi colored brand that I give my cats (because they won't eat cat food that's one color)

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. TallChickMagnet

TallChickMagnet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2012
    Jurupa Valley, CA
    The other day I was out of scratch so I gave mine a few handfuls until I got to the feed store, they seemed to love it. I read the box first, and there didn't seem to be anything in it that seemed bad for them...
    [​IMG]

7. Chickengirl47

Chickengirl47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2012
    Louisiana
    I don't give cat food to my chickens. Cat food is for cats not chickens. But they do usually get some in the morning because they steal it from my cats.[​IMG]

8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

9. MsChickenMomma

Dec 2, 2012
    Michigan
    Alright thanks everyone! I'll start weaning them off the cat food and give them beans and rice or something instead. I'll have to find something else they like. For such smart birds, they are VERY picky eaters!

10. Sphynxcrazy

Sphynxcrazy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2012
    i've read beans that arent cooked can damage their livers or something like that... i don't remember so don't quote me :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by