Can chickens have cracked or chopped corn ??? I am new to this !!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kbreak, Dec 7, 2011.

1. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Can chickens have cracked or chopped corn mixed in with the layer pellets ? We were feeding crumble (i think this is what it was called) . We now have 2 hens laying daily. My husband picked up feed today and came home with cracked corn and layer pellets. They also free range most of the day. Is this ok for them. Also since I have a couple of hens laying do I need to get oyster shell and put in the coop?
    My husband thinks I am crazy. We have 7 hens and a rooster (or could be 6 and 2). We have a bantam rooster and hen that free range ( they will go in the coop with the big chickens but they are real scared and fly out. Then I have a hen and 6 chicks. Trying to get him to build me another coop and run. I think I may be addicted !!! I want more!!!

2. andrea98

andrea98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    in my barnyard....ohio
    yep that corn is ok for them !! they will love it. i mix it with my crumble & even throw some out in the run , it gives them something to scratch up out there [​IMG]

****yes less corn in their feed****

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  3. dirtsaver

dirtsaver Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2010
    Northern Kentucky
    Lots of people feed chickens cracked corn. It's ok for them but don't give them more than 5% corn vs. their layer feed per day. Just use the corn as a treat. Once a day throw some corn out in the run or yard and let them go for it.

As for oyster shell, we keep it available free choice all the time. Any good layer feed should have calcium in it for layers but some chickens may need more so it never hurts to have oyster shell there for them.

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oyster shell is good to have in a separate little container for them, and they will pick it up if they need it.

Yes, they can eat cracked corn - it makes a fine treat for them if you are feeding layer crumble. It has around 7-9% protein and the layer probably has 16% protein. Eggs are made of protein, so if you give them too much corn and decrease your total protein % it might affect egglaying.

So I would say to throw out a handful or two of corn per day for them to eat- they'll love it!

Some folks even buy the higher protein stuff like Flock Raiser pellets with 20% protein so they can cut it with more corn and save some $. You don't want to go under about 16% protein though.

5. kbreak

kbreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2011
    Columbia, MS
    Thanks so much for the information !

6. tresgallina3

tresgallina3 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2011
    In the wild bird section at the stores is an item that holds corn on the cob for the squirrels, cone shaped, metal, and you can hang this in the coop or the run. I use an "S" hook and hang it right on the wire. In the summer give them a cob every so often, in the winter thaw out a frozen cob. They LOVE it.

7. SmokinChick

SmokinChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Kingsville, MD
    I wouldn't mix it into their feed. they will bill it out and only eat the corn. Just my $.02

8. patty12

patty12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    I feed chops in cold weather. They need the fat for heat.

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:What is chops? Pork chops?

10. Ariel301

Ariel301 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Kingman Arizona
    Quote:What is chops? Pork chops?

Chopped corn. Although I'm sure the chickens would appreciate pork chops just as much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by