1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Can chickens have fits due to shock?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by untamed_spirit, Jan 25, 2010.

1. untamed_spirit

untamed_spirit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    This morning my partner went down to feed out chickens.
    We have 5 mixed chicks from the same brood, 3 Light Sussex and 2 Barred Rocks.
    He discovered 1 of the Light Sussex chicks on its side with its legs flailing wildly. It made no attempt to escape when he caught it, which is unusual, as they normally have a little struggle then settle. He brought it into me, and I sat it upright in my lap. When he found it, its eyes were closed over, from experience never a good sign in chickens, and his beak was a little open (although his breathing wasnt laboured). However, over the duration of 15 minutes snuggled in my lap, his eyes gradually opened. He then proceeded to snooze for about 20 minutes. I know it was sleep not unconciousness as every little noise he opened his eyes, so he was alert. After the 20 minutes, he stretched his legs, so I set him down on the floor, and he proceeded to strut round my bedroom as if nothing had happened! I gave him some food and water, and he ate and drank without problem. I then returned him to his fellow chicks, and he went straight back to them and carried on as he would normally.
    Has anyone ever heard of this before?? If so, were you chickens ok after, or were there repeats of this event?

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

This might be a trauma from flying into something. This bird may have been startled in the dark and injured before falling to the bedding. I know you'll be watching closely...please let us know how you manage.

3. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Do chickens get epilepsy?

4. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    Thankyou Lynn! I will let you know!

And I sincerely hope not The Chickens Maid! I know epilepsy is manageable in dogs and cats, not so sure in chickens!!

5. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    Update on chick.

The chick seemed much improved yesterday when I put him back down with his brothers and sisters. However this morning when I went down there, he was squatted in the corner, and did not come to the gate for food like the others. I quickly brought him inside. Once again, his eyes were nearly closed. After 20 minutes or so, he wasnt improving, so I held him to try and warm him up. It was then I noticed he had a slight twitch in his neck and 1 wing. It felt like little tremors every few seconds. He seemed to perk up a bit as I held him, and another 20 minutes later he was sitting up and looking more alert. He ate a little bread from my hands, and drank some water by himself, so I left him with food and water whilst I went to work. When I returned, my partner had put him back outside as apparently he was too lively, cheaping and pooing everywhere. When I went outside to check him though, he was in the same state, squatted in the corner. He is now in an isolation pen with a heat lamp on him as the only correlation I can see between happy and not happy is the temperature! He has eaten and drunk, but he does keep rubbing his head from side to side as if he has an impaction. When I felt his crop though, it was full, to be expected as he had just eaten quite a lot of bread, but not solid! And he has been pooing!

I dont know whats causing this, I really dont want to lose him, does anyone know what this is? I am very confused!!

6. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    So I've been monitoring the little guy. I've come to the conclusion its either neurological or possibly he's got something stuck in his crop which is bugging him as he is now high stepping, yet another symptom of compacted crop, but it isnt compacted!!! He also has VERY watery diarrhoea. I have started feeding him watered down to mush layers pellets instead of bread, as I know its not ideal nutrition wise!!

Has noone else here ever seen anything like this??!

7. The Chickens' Maid

The Chickens' Maid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    CT
    Maybe you could try feeding him some tomatoes to help his crop if there is something in there. You could give him yogurt then to help with digestion.
    Sorry I can't help much; hope he gets better!

8. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    thankyou! I will try the tomatos tonight, and the yoghurt tomorrow, unfortunatey I don't have any in my fridge as I never have liked the stuff! I have seen a lot of yoghurt remedies on here, so I'm presuming it is quite a good thing for chickens! I must admit I have never heard of it before!!

9. untamed_spirit

Jan 25, 2010
    Witley, UK
    ok, so I just went rummaging through my fridge and found some 4 months out of date yoghurt we bought while my niece was staying with us. Its not green or furry, would it still be ok or are poultry as affected by out of date products as humans can be?

10. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Quote:I give my out of date yogurt to my chickens. [​IMG] I dont know if any has been as much as 4 months out of date, but if it isnt moldy and doesnt smell bad, then it might be okay. Im pretty sure my mum would eat it. [​IMG]

BTW, Welcome to Backyard Chickens!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by