Can chickens have strokes?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mom2many, Jun 19, 2011.

1. mom2many

mom2many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    I have a chicken almost 3 months old, a frizzle. She got sick, along with another bird. The other bird was younger and died. She on the other hand she would eat and drink if I held her to the water and food and her poo was runny. Clean eyes nose but very sleepy. I got her medication from the farm supply store and she seems to be 100% better. She is awake alert and can eat and drink fine. She cant walk though, cant even stand. I help her to the feeder every couple hours and get her lots of drinks. (I try to keep her full) But her left leg is held funny kinda like it is locked up next to her chest. I can pull it down with some finesse and it doesn't seem to bother her that I move it so I dont think its broken or anything.... And then her wings: She holds them up in a funny manner as well and she doesn't seem to have any movement of them. The leg she can kinda move but she always crosses her legs when she is put down and falls over. She seems to be fine personality wise but I need her to be able to walk! This is no life for a chicken! She was outside and one of the bigger girls gave her a peck the drew blood so she has been inside in my brooder since then. And she was fine then healing nicely. I dont know what else to do!!!!! Could she have had a stroke? Do they make chicken walkers? (like they do for dogs) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2011
  2. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

you can fashion a "sling" for her. Find Cynthia aka speckledhen in the user list and send her a pm (private message), or do a search for "chicken sling" or "sling" . Good luck!

3. mom2many

mom2many Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2011
    Could she have had a stroke so young? Do they have strokes? Will she get better? Any other ideas of what might be wrong with her?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by