Can Chickens have those big ol' brid seed blocks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cuttlefishherder, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    [​IMG]

Because we were entertaining the Idea of putting one in a net hanging it from a tree and watching our chickens have at it. It seems like some thing they would have and enjoy, we just want to make sure that they can have it. [​IMG]

2. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    We give our 7 rhode island reds one. They have never had a problem they seem to love it.

3. fdehaven

fdehaven Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2009
    Woodland, PA
    We give our 7 rhode island reds one. They have never had a problem they seem to love it.

4. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    In the winter I buy flock blocks for my hens and put them in the coop so they do not get bored and also can stay in and not pick at each other. It seems to work well. They are made esp. for chickens and are more balanced than reg bird seed blocks I think. Gloria Jean [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  5. Cuttlefishherder

Cuttlefishherder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Tucson AZ
    Coolio thanks yall! X)

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Just don't let your feed get wet. Flock blocks are good- for $10 or so, and they contain sunflower seeds.

If your food gets moldy it can kill chickens.

7. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    The flock blocks also state for chickens over 18 weeks.

8. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Excellent point- they have oyster shell in them.

9. Mogli

Mogli Chillin' With My Peeps

they should like it. i give mine a suit cake a few times a month in the cold months to help keepem warm and it gives them lots of energy to keep active

10. NCchicken

NCchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Are you guys talking about the blocks you can buy at say Home Depot/ Lowes and Walmart in the wild bird seed area? What about the ones for chipmonks? Can the chickens have those? It looks like it's seed with a bunch of sticky stuff like peanut butter or something similar to that. I need to get something for them to peck at so they don't get bored.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by