1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens hold Semen?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by texascowboy1979, Sep 30, 2009.

1. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

If a chicken Breeds and has chicks... and Then I loose my male, and then later on she lays eggs with no male, can the eggs be fertile? Are chickens able to hold semen inside for another egg laying or does she need a male to fertilise the eggs each time she lays?

2. TaLani

TaLani ~ Gemini Chick ~

Oct 2, 2008
    Bryson City, NC
    When a hen is mated the semen will stay in her body for anywhere from 1-3 weeks. So, if she was successfully mated by your roo in that time frame before he died, then there is a reasonable chance that you could hatch eggs that were fertilized by your roo. Make sense?

3. Clay In Iowa

Clay In Iowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Near Wilton Iowa
    It's my understanding that a hen will be fertile after matting for about 30 days. The best chance of getting fertile eggs will be in the first few days after matting and then it will drop off pretty fast.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A hen does not need to be mated each day for her to lay fertile eggs. How long th eggs remain fertile will vary per individual. They could last for as little as a week or as long as three weeks. I believe two weeks is an accepted average, but that means that some are not still fertile at two weeks.

5. texascowboy1979

texascowboy1979 Chillin' With My Peeps

Makes perfect sence... thanks...

6. Big Red Hen

Big Red Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Smoaks, SC
    Wow! I didn't know that!! Good info.[​IMG]

7. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    This might sound crazy, but our roo has been gone for 3 months (at least) and some of the eggs my girls are laying still have a bullseye. That means their fertile right?

8. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    A bullseye is fertile!

9. Tailfeathers

Tailfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2007
    Washington State
    I'd second Ridgerunner's comments. FingerLakesChick, if you've had no roo for 3 months and are still getting fertile eggs, you've got to be getting a roo from somewhere else or you're misreading the "bullseye".

God Bless,

10. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    Quote:+1

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by