Can chickens lay inconsistent sized eggs?

Equiem

Chirping
Oct 28, 2018
Hertfordshire, UK
Just a question I can't seem to find an answer to
It's my first full winter (in the UK) with my 3 rescued ex-batts and I'm still getting 2 eggs a day
My theory is that one chicken isn't laying. I've (accidentally) disturbed her - been up to their pen whilst she'd been in the nest box so she has come out again - but there's been no evidence that she has laid. She used to lay large eggs but we've only had smaller sized ones recently so...

I was wondering could she be laying just smaller sized eggs? Or is it likely that she isn't laying at all?

She is otherwise okay in herself although she has lost most of her fluffy bottom feathers.

Any suggestions and replies welcomes!
Thanks in advance! :)

@aart question about check pubic bone distance... is this only for new first time ever layers? I guess my thought is that any ex-batt layer would have wide pubic bones because they've done a lot of laying in their lives already. Do they shrink back closer together between periods of laying?

@aart question about check pubic bone distance... is this only for new first time ever layers? I guess my thought is that any ex-batt layer would have wide pubic bones because they've done a lot of laying in their lives already. Do they shrink back closer together between periods of laying?
I've checked a couple of hens that were out of lay due to molt...
....the pelvic points do 'close up'.

Interesting... I would not have thought this to be the case.
I wasn't sure either, so when a 9mo old stopped laying and partial molted one winter I checked her, sure enough back to about 1 finger. Have checked a couple older molting birds too.

I wasn't sure either, so when a 9mo old stopped laying and partial molted one winter I checked her, sure enough back to about 1 finger. Have checked a couple older molting birds too.

I will check my suspect hen tomorrow!
After saying I've been getting 2 eggs per day, today I got zero. It's like they were listening and thought "hah, that'll show you"

Back
Top Bottom