can chickens learn how to use a doggy door?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by aubreynoramarie, May 29, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    ..or should i take off the flap? Weve made in improvised coup out of the mudroom in our home. the last tennants had built some kind of structure for rabbits to go in and out, and we are just expanding it. The entrance, though, was a very small doggy door with a flap. i wasnt sure if chickens would know what to do with that, but fortunatly the flap can come off, i just thought it would be nice to have to keep out drafts in the winter.

also, i have two ameraucanas and one red sex link. theyre still babies and since they are my first ever chickens i dont know how large they will get. do you think one of those small doggy doors is large enough for them to get in and out? id say its about six or seven inches by seven or eight inches.

thanks

2. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    bumping this...

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I had to seal off the doggy door from my chickens. Three of them roam the back yard freely and as soon as they realized it was an entry way I couldnt keep them out any other way.

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    oh cool, so they CAN learn to use it....thank you!

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Chickens can learn to distinguish colors and shapes, so sure they can learn to use a doggy door. You just need to teach them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by