Can chickens pass disease onto dogs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wooklet, Jul 16, 2010.

1. wooklet

wooklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Tasmania
    Hi again, Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am wondering if chickens can pass any disease on to dogs or any type of worms/parasites etc? My dogs mix with our chickens all the time and I have seen them eating the chicken droppings, even though I try very hard to discourage it, but I can't watch them all the time. Would anyone be able to give me some input on this? Thanks!

2. Heatherberry

Heatherberry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2010
    I would like to know this as well.

My thoughts have been obviously they can get roundworms. Humans can get roundworms from chickens by walking barefoot in the backyard, or so I have heard. I don't let my son run around barefoot and he loves to.

My dogs can't wait to go outside and it's all because they want poop. Drives me nuts but I let my chickens out every morning for several hours and unless it rains they will find some.

It does rain her at least 75% of the afternoons in summer.

Anyway, I am thinking another reason that we should worm them.

Any veteran chicken people have an answer.

3. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    I've just emailed my vet and am waiting for a response, I would like to know also, I'll post his response!!

4. daddysgirlz

daddysgirlz Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2010
    M, WI
    I want to know as well...my dogs also think the poops are little special treats and they can't wait to get outside to scrounge and search out their addiction!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

mine also! my grand-puppy thinks it's like finding candy in the grass. [​IMG]

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    mmaddie's mom :

mine also! my grand-puppy thinks it's like finding candy in the grass. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. allmypeeps

allmypeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Maine
    My dogs think chickens are waddling candy dispensers...they follow them around with their snouts up their tail feathers-waiting!!! I keep reminding my husband thats it's reason #! why NOT to let dogs lick your FACE!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  8. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:also [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  9. wooklet

wooklet Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Tasmania
    Quote:Thanks, I would be very interested to see that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by