Can chickens pass respiratory illness to ducks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by drewskimac, Sep 28, 2015.

1. drewskimac

drewskimac Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    My ducks and chickens live together, and I recently bought some chickens that ended up being sick. I'd never had these issues before, and I wasn't even really aware of them, so the new chickens were with my entire flock for 1 day before I noticed they were unwell. At this point, i'm assuming that my entire flock is infected and I'll have to cull them (i'm not going to be corrupt and sell people hatching eggs/chicks that are carriers of disease). My main question is, are my ducks also infected? Do chickens pass respiratory diseases to ducks? Thankyou.

2. Jesusfreak101

Jesusfreak101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Uhh i know thatd ducks can pass illnesses to chickens so i am assume chickens can pass it to ducks. But what illness are you refering to if its a cold the it run its course no reason to kill the birds.

3. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    I don't really know what it is. One of the chickens was making a slight gurgling noise with its breath and all three of them were sort've just closing their eyes and staring at the ground. I gave them baytril and they seem fine now but they are still quarantined until I can figure out exactly what they had/have

4. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmmm no clue i know there are several different things it could be since they were lethargic and had drainage(gurgling noise). How do your ducks seem?

5. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Ducks appear fine. The only ducks showing any symptoms of illness at all are the original 3 hens that were sold to me sick. I know that some infections can stay dormant for a month, though. I guess I'll just have to have them tested to see what it is/was.

6. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Mmm i suppose there are lot of others on here who might now but with out other symptom might be.

7. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Thankyou for all of your input.I would hate to have to get rid of all of my chickens AND ducks just because some jerk sold me 3 sick hens. I guess you learn from experience. A lot of what I do is sell chicks/hatching eggs so if the have a condition that leaves them carriers for life, they've gotta go.

8. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    I understand that, sorry my typing off today lol. And that really messed up i wonder if they knew they were sick. From my understanding your suppose to keep them seperate until you know they are healthy when you first get them. I was lucky with my last two batches that they were to young to put with the mature hens other wise i would i problably done the same.

9. drewskimac

Oct 7, 2014
    Siloam Springs, AR
    Yes , I will from now on separate them for a month. I actually probably won't buy from an unaccredited person ever again.

10. Jesusfreak101

Sep 2, 2015
    Texas
    My Coop
    Yeah thats a risk unforantly with anyone one. One person on her bought what was suppose to be four hens from someone and turned out all four were roosters.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by