Can Chickens safely eat Peafowl food and vice versa?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mggeggs, Jul 25, 2013.

1. mggeggs

mggeggs New Egg

Jul 24, 2013
    I don't know if this is in the right spot as I am new to the forums, so forgive me if I need to move it. We have a neighbor 2 doors down who keeps peafowl, and we have chickens. We are trying to pen up our chickens due to neighbor concerns about completely free ranging, but in the meantime, the chickens have been hanging out at the neighbor's house eating their peafowl feed. Will/could that affect the flavor or safety of the eggs or the health of the chickens? I don't know what they feed, or if it is medicated. We do not use any medicated feeds and are on layer pellets. Also, the peafowl are always in our coop and yard and eat the chicken layer feed and wild bird seed we leave out. Could that affect them in any way? Thanks for your help!

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Not knowing what is in the peafowl food I can't say for sure there is anything bad for chickens in it. All I can say is that if they are free ranging and eating their own feed, then what ever they are eating is diluted down. If they are not dead yet I doubt they will die from it. For a better answer you could post it in the peafowl forum. On the top bar there is a forum navigation tab click that and scroll down the page.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by