Can chickens see color?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by perfectly-polish, Aug 10, 2008.

1. perfectly-polish

perfectly-polish New Egg

Jul 24, 2008
    I was wondering if chickens can see color. I know some animals are colorblind, but are chickens?

-Maugrim [​IMG]

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes.

3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    My finger nails are red and the girls thing they are something yummy to taste.

My neighbor said a piece of pink something was in his brooder box and all the babies played "keep away" until they tore it to shreds... SMILE!

From other posts I read, they can see colors and like the color red and pink...

4. purplepoen

purplepoen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Michigan
    Absolutely, chickens can see in color.

5. adoptedbyachicken

adoptedbyachicken Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

One of the basic exercises when your learning clicker training is to teach a chicken to to indicate colour for you, so yes they must see in colour. We spent a day at a horse training clinic doing this, it's a good way to get the basics of the timing of the click down pat before moving on to more complex behaviors.

6. Hackles

Hackles Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Yes, Chickens do see in color, like mentioned above it's even in a training exercise.

7. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    yes. mine love red stuff!!

8. warren

warren Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2007
    UK
    Birds have excellent eyesight in daylight but can't see well in the dark. This is because they have more cones in their retinas. Cats have more rods and so don't see colour but can see in poor light.

9. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I know this much, mine don't like the color white. They avoid snow at all costs.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by