1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can Chickens Smell?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bird Hearder, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
    I mean does their nose work? Can they smell treats and goodies?
    Not do they smell when cooking, or a stinky pen. LOL

2. camille

camille Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2008
  3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Good article, but I don't think chickens are one of the birds that can smell.

Usually it is birds that need that sense to find natural food. Buzzards and the like. The old wives tale that if a baby chick falls out of its nest you shouldn't touch it because the momma can smell you is false. Just put the chick back in the nest. The same is for chickens.

They do see color though and can recognize cool treats like grapes.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Chickens can definitely smell.

All I have to do is bring a taco into the house and my Fussy starts whining, she LOVES tacos and can smell them immediately.

Also, I had a pecky young pullet I was trying to break from pecking, everyone said use Vicks on my hands, that chicken ran so far away from me it was hilarious. It didnt work, becuz she never gave me an opportunity to even get close with that stuff on me. And I tried it several times. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  5. Bird Hearder

Bird Hearder Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2008
    Salisbury, Md.
  6. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well, all I know is I remember laughing about the fact that I could have saved a lot of funds studying the fact whether they coud smell or not.

Poor Lily, she was still inside at the time, her and Dash ran clear to the other side of the kitchen and huddled there, and kept shaking their heads like they got a whiff of something nasty.

It was quite comical, and NOT their typical behavior. Usually she hung right there with me and pecked the crap out of me, and she wouldnt even get close. She didnt even come close to tasting it, she didnt HAVE to. [​IMG]

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

LOL!
    I think so too...nothing like a drooling begging Leghorn when you're cooking.

8. fivebigreds

fivebigreds Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2007
    middle Tennessee
    I don't think God put nostrils on them as a prop [​IMG], i know they can smell cause they know their favorite goodys sight unseen.

9. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I don't think God put nostrils on them as a prop

[​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by