Can chickens snore/coo in their sleep?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickchickgirls, Aug 13, 2010.

1. chickchickgirls

chickchickgirls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2010
    Oregon
    I just took some canteloupe rinds out to my girls. I knew they were sleeping but thought I would leave it for them to wake up to. They were all on their little roosts, quietly sleeping and somebody was making little cooing sounds, almost like snoring! So adorable, I got a little rush of mama-feeling, like when your human babies are sleeping peacefully. Anyone ever heard their chickens sleep coo?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Yes mine make all sorts of little noises.

3. CoupeDeVille

CoupeDeVille Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2010
    New Hartford, Ct.
    Quote:Mine do too...Thought I had a cuckoo clock in the coop the other night ! [​IMG]

4. Lifetime chicken lover

Lifetime chicken lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2009
    Rogers, MN
    My little roo used to make the cutest little trilling sound at night. And I've heard many others "snore" a bit. Very cute!

ReneeMR likes this.
  5. coldinnh

coldinnh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    NH
    I was looking to see if chickens purr or trill... my Fuzz, cochin, trills alot when she is on her roost and I got to "tuck her in"
    So I guess my next question would be if the sound is one of alarm, warning or love?

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    If there breathing heavily it could mean worms, so listen closely. You would be able to tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by