1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chickens start laying at 15 weeks?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RodNTN, Jun 10, 2016.

1. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    Okay, so I just read on here that someone had a pullet that began laying at 15 weeks. My chicks are 15 weeks and I think one of them just laid an egg!! [​IMG]I'm not certain that the chicks laid it because it was in my older chickens coop in their nesting box. But all of my chickens free range and both the older laying hens and the 15 week old's have access to each of their coops. But the egg was TINY !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, today all of my 15 week old pullets were in my big chicken coop and a few of them were in the nesting boxes and looking over the big chickens eggs. I don't know if this means anything. The egg was brown so it couldn't have been my white leghorns egg, even though their combs and wattles are growing and getting red. I still expect them to start laying any week now though. These are the chicken breeds I have that lay brown eggs (the 15 week old chickens) :

1 Black sex link, 3 Production Reds, 1 Black australorp, and an Easter egger.

But all of the breeds I listed combs are small and orange. The only one I would think of would be one of the Production reds, her comb has been getting bigger and redder everyday. (At least I think she's a pullet.)
    Here's the production red:
    [​IMG]

(This was it last night)
    [​IMG]
    This was yesterday.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance! [​IMG]

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

ok so sometimes chickens just sit in the nest boxes, and the egg you found was probably a "wind,fart or rooster'' egg which comes from a hen, chickens don't really lay around 15 weeks they start to lay at around 17-21 weeks old

3. Sutremaine

Sutremaine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2014
    UK
    If she's a production red, it's certainly possible. It's hard to tell from a single photo, but she does look to have quite a deep body for such a young chicken.

4. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    thats what i was thinking. Shes looks to be growing a lot faster than the other chickens,

5. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    Do you have any older laying hen? If so it could be them that laid the tiny egg I swear yesterday I found a small egg from a 2 year old hen that's new to my coop sometimes stress could do that just my opinion

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  6. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    No stress, I do have an older who's 5 or 6 who continues lay. But I gather her eggs everyday and their very large eggs.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Check the young suspects pelvic points, and a couple other of the 15 wo's for comparison.
    I've found this to be a pretty accurate at POL's.

2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  8. RodNTN

RodNTN Following Jesus

May 22, 2013
    The USA
    My Coop
    My pullets don't liked to be touched but I will try it . . . and see what happens. [​IMG]

9. chickenshiha

chickenshiha Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    palestine
    If you have two coops you can keep the pullets in there coop and range them for a day or two if they don't lay it could be your older hen

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I take mine off the roost at night to examine them.....
    .....but I have a walk in coop with single level roost at about waist height so it's easy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by