can chickens stop laying eggs due to heat and molting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jprice, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jprice

jprice Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Skiatook, OK
    been hot and humid here in oklahoma lately can chickens stop laying eggs due to heat and molting when will things return back to normal any answers would be helpful

2. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    Yes! They can stop laying due to heat and/or molting. If it's the heat, you can try to cool them down to encourage them to start laying again. You can put out fans, a mister or put ice cubes in their water.

If it's molting, they'll start laying again once they're done molting. I would suspect the heat though; they usually don't start molting until the days start getting shorter again, usually in the fall.

3. jprice

Sep 7, 2009
    Skiatook, OK
    Thank You Springchickens Makes Me Feel A Little Better About Things My Ducks Also Quit Laying As Well Same Time As Chickens And Extreme Heat Came About

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    yuppers! I have both things going on a few molters and alot of not laying-95 out today poor girls! I sprayed them all down with the hose and wet their pens down:) Ducks loved it-chickens ...not so much:-(

5. Country Living Farm

Country Living Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Florida
    I just said the heck with it. I guess they need a break too. I am getting about 8 eggs a day from about 35 hens!!!

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:[​IMG] your in my boat 10 today from 40 hens!

7. juliawitt

juliawitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    16 layers, 13 eggs so far today. My husband installed a thermastically controlled ventilation fan in their coop, and egg production has gone back up. Of course, at 1.50 a carton, they will be paying it off for a longggg!! time, but they sure are happier inside the coop! Happy = Eggs.

8. jprice

Sep 7, 2009
    Skiatook, OK
    i was getting 8-10 eggs a day down to 0-2 a day got concerned about it but since my ducks quit laying same time as chickens i thought it was heat related i guess im not the only one out there thanks for sharing guys and gals

9. Invertalon

Invertalon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I only have one hen thus far that is laying, and she was laying every day since she started, got four or five eggs straight from her. Then the heat shot up to 90's and she stopped laying. I was hoping nothing was wrong with her, but it prob is just the heat. Going to stay like this for a few days too... I put water jugs frozen in their coop box, along with ice cubes and frozen waterer to keep them cool best I can. Still hot for them though!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by