Can Chickens survive the Texas cold?

cocoaskin

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
I live in Tx, and I have 5 chickens 3 hens 2 roosters. This is going to be their 1st winter ( excluding one) and they live outside in my yard. They also have a coop that they all sleep in at night. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on how to keep my ''flock'' warm this winter.

Thanks!

Um, if chickens can survive in Minnesota's -40 degree winters I think you should be just fine with a regualr coop
smile.png

I live in Wisconsin and I have a coop. I do not plan on heating it. I have 15 chickens.

I think you will just need to keep them dry and out of the wind and you should be just fine. Chickens do not do well with drafts.
smile.png

Chickens are a hearty bunch. Gets pretty cold here in Vermont too. deep snow, 30 below zero some days. Chickens been living in uninsulated drafty coops here for hundreds and hundreds of years, and I have never heard of any freezing to death. It's nice that you have a coop. They like high places, they get a lot of body heat from corn. A good feed is all you need, heck,Texas,,,,,,,,,,I would'nt worry a bit.

lol.png
Texas doesn't have "cold". Texas has chilly.
tongue.png
I tease. But yes, your chickens will be FINE. People all over the northern US raise chickens every single year through the winter and they're just fine as well.
wink.png

Quote:
a hot vacation .... i need to move farther north .... i would like to have a nice cold winter for christmas

Sure! Come spend some time in Wisconsin! It's gorgous! We have some of the nations best snowmobiling trails!

Back
Top Bottom