Can Chickens survive the Texas cold?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cocoaskin, Sep 17, 2009.

1. cocoaskin

cocoaskin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    I live in Tx, and I have 5 chickens 3 hens 2 roosters. This is going to be their 1st winter ( excluding one) and they live outside in my yard. They also have a coop that they all sleep in at night. I was just wondering if anyone can give me some suggestions on how to keep my ''flock'' warm this winter.

Thanks!

2. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Um, if chickens can survive in Minnesota's -40 degree winters I think you should be just fine with a regualr coop [​IMG]

3. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I live in Wisconsin and I have a coop. I do not plan on heating it. I have 15 chickens.

I think you will just need to keep them dry and out of the wind and you should be just fine. Chickens do not do well with drafts. [​IMG]

4. jafo

jafo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Chickens are a hearty bunch. Gets pretty cold here in Vermont too. deep snow, 30 below zero some days. Chickens been living in uninsulated drafty coops here for hundreds and hundreds of years, and I have never heard of any freezing to death. It's nice that you have a coop. They like high places, they get a lot of body heat from corn. A good feed is all you need, heck,Texas,,,,,,,,,,I would'nt worry a bit.

5. Olive Hill

Olive Hill Overrun With Chickens

Apr 19, 2009
    [​IMG] Texas doesn't have "cold". Texas has chilly. [​IMG] I tease. But yes, your chickens will be FINE. People all over the northern US raise chickens every single year through the winter and they're just fine as well. [​IMG]

6. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Quote:You took the words right out of my mouth. My chickens would think a winter in Texas was a stroll in the park compared to MN.

7. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    There are people on BYC that live in Canada and Alaska with chickens. Texas is a vacation. [​IMG]

8. cocoaskin

cocoaskin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2009
    Haha! Thanks everyone for the jokes and tips!!!![​IMG]

9. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:a hot vacation .... i need to move farther north .... i would like to have a nice cold winter for christmas

10. fordmommy

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Quote:a hot vacation .... i need to move farther north .... i would like to have a nice cold winter for christmas

Sure! Come spend some time in Wisconsin! It's gorgous! We have some of the nations best snowmobiling trails!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by