Can chickens use a cat door?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by blooo, Dec 17, 2008.

1. blooo

blooo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    berkeley, ca
    Has anyone been successful in getting their chickens to use a cat door?

I'm tired of wild birds going into my tractor run when the chickens are free-ranging, and was thinking that putting a cat door in the door to the run could work well, if the chickens could be taught to use the door.

Here is a picture that shows my tractor with the door for the run: http://www.flickr.com/photos/blubob/2889706872/in/set-72157607504611354/

thanks
    !

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Mine are really curious about my cats' door. They peck at it all the time but so far haven't figured it out (thank goodness!!).

I don't see why you couldn't teach them to use a cat door if the flap is light enough for them to push aside.

It's all about the training!

3. chickenpiedpiper

chickenpiedpiper Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    New Durham NH
    I dont use an official cat door, but I do have heavy plastic hanging over the door, with slices in it, so the birds have to push thier way thru... It works well to keep drafts at a minnimum, and after the first day or so, my birds dont even slow down for it, they just charge right thru, and it is 2 layers deep, stiff and not transparent!

I think you may find a cat door too small for some of the bigger birds... My roos would not fit thru one...

Good Luck!

4. Barn Maid Ann

Barn Maid Ann Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Punta Gorda, FL
    OMG! Don't give them any ideas! We have enough trouble keeping the little devils out of the garage. If they learn to use the cats' door, we are doomed! [​IMG]

5. mychickensrock

mychickensrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I wish we had a "pet" door. We are constantly letting chickens come visit in the kitchen. It would be nice if they could just pop in. "Hey Mom! Give me some treats! Ok. Nice to see you. Going back outside now. See you in 5 minutes."

6. Chickenfortress

Chickenfortress Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    I have a locking double pet door made of lexan. They can see through it, but won't go through unless i prop one side partway open. If i had it to do over, i would not get one that has 2 doors on it. I worry that one will get its head through, and decide to go back. That would be a pinch it wouldn't soon forget. It may be enough to stop them from using it at all.

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have read some posts where some have put a towell over the door and the birds push the towell. I'm not sure is they cut the towell or not.

8. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    My roo's are WAAAAYYY to big to go through a cat door.

9. lorihadams

lorihadams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2008
    virginia
    We put a towel that is folded in half over the door to our coop...took about a week for them to figure out that they could just push through it but it helps keep out the drafts and now I don't have to let them out every morning...also gives the girls some privacy in the coop when they are laying! All it takes is for one or two of them to figure it out and the rest will follow.

Good luck!

Lori

10. blooo

blooo Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2008
    berkeley, ca
    I like the towel and heavy plastic ideas - seems a lot easier and cheaper than getting an actual cat door! thanks, everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by