Can Chickens walk on chicken wire?

Qi Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Jul 3, 2009
I bought two wire cages originally for ferrets. The wire spacing is about 1 inch by 4 inches. The spaces seemed too big so we lined the bottom with chicken wire. They don't fall through but they do not look comfortable. They rarely lie down. Do you think the chicken wire will hurt their feet? They will be in there for 2-3 days. Two buff orps.

Also how do you feed and water in wire cages. I have bowls in there and they have knocked them over about 20 times in 12 hours. I wired them to the side and it is not working very well. can a chicken drink out of a hamster waterer?

Quote:
Since they are only going to be in the cage for 2-3 days, I wouldnt worry about it. Just be sure that the chicken wire you lined on the bottom doesnt have pointed ends sticking out. For water and feed...I use cut open plastic empty milk or water containers...the quart or half gallon sizes. They work great and are easily tied off and fit perfectly in the corners of cages. You can put water in one and feed in another. I learned that one from a fellow BYCer at a swap meet lol.

chickens can drink out of hampster or guinea pig or rabbit waterers, many people have those type of nipple waterers for large parrots, just watch and make sure that each and every one is getting water. The milk jug thing is great also, I just cut a hole big enough for mine to put their head in the side of the milk jug. Also, they make a lil plastic attatchment that goes on a soda bottle, that waterer that is usually just over a 1.oo and would slip between the wire on the ferret cage. It keeps the jug on the outside and the lil trough on the inside. U would be better off with the hardware cloth, but not too small if ur wanting poop to fall through. also u can put anything disposable like cardboard, newspaper, scrap pieces of paneling or plywood for them to have a place to stand and "rest" from the wire, also run a stick or something through the wire so they can pirch. And this is just me, but I am real big on quality of life(even if im just gonna eat the bird), so hang some homeade toys, or clip some lettuce, or something to make their little world interesting.

Last edited:
better than they can walk on water!!!
gig.gif

Quote:
Good idea. I'd be concerned that they'd get small cuts or abrasions on their feet from the chicken wire that could later get infected (bumblefoot).

Back
Top Bottom