1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

******Can chicks and ducks go in the same brooder?******

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bock_Bock, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    well hopefuly at least one of my ducks will hatch and they are due sunday but i am not sure if you can mix them with chicks can you?

2. austinhart123

austinhart123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Los Angeles CA
    you can mix them just keep an eye on them because older chicks will peck younger chicks no matter the species

3. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    ok i just wanted to make sure that ducks dont need a diffrent set up then chicks do

4. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    I think as long as you don't feed medicated chick starter/grower to you duckling you "should" be OK. I'm not sure if that's a myth or not but thats what I always heard.

Good luck to you.

5. lilshadow

lilshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Milaca, MN
    Ducklings are messy, very messy. When they drink they get water every where. I tried putting chicks with ducklings, and my poor chicks got very wet. We hatched out ducklings and chicks. Didn' work for us.

6. Bock_Bock

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    thats what i did lol i had chick and duck eggs together so i will see what comes about the 3 duck eggs i have they are due tomorrow or today so we will see, even tho people said it is ok for ducklings to go in with chicks i am still dabting it tho i figured the ducks would pick on the chicks but we will see i am just so excited for all this

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by