can chicks be separated and then reunited.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by france4862, Nov 16, 2013.

1. france4862

france4862 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    I have 28 chicks I wanted to give them more space so i separated them today. Should I swap them around daily to keep social or should I wait a week or so and get them in their coop I will still leave a heat lamp because they are only 3 weeks old.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    As a rule of thumb, there isn't a problem with adding new chicks for their first month. Yours are close enough to one month that I'd probably do a little moving around, though

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Would it be possible for you to separate them but keep them where they will still be able to see each other? That's what I did and I didn't have any problems reuniting them.

4. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    Chickenrus: great idea.yes i can do that.just another project for doesn't end but I am truly enjoying this project.

5. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

I am always doing/building some kind of chicken project, my daughter is home from college in the summer and helps a lot but now she has told me "NO MORE BUILDING YOUR CHICKEN STUFF" LOL yeah right.

6. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    My youngest is 16 and she is terrified of the chicks. Even though this is my first chicken project we've always had animals out of 5kids only one is a animal lover like me.

7. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They'll be fine being separated until the coop is ready. They won't become arch-enemies by the time they're reunited, if that's what you were worrying about.

8. france4862

Oct 29, 2013
    Richfield Wisconsin
    They are doing great I have switched and reunited they are all buds

9. MyPetNugget

MyPetNugget Enjoying the cold!!!

You can add more chicks in the first month. We had a big variety of 14 2 week old chicks. Then we decided we needed more[​IMG]. So we got 2 more white rocks and added them in with the rest. There was no pecking and they actually grew to be the same size as the older ones.

10. Gardenlady2

Gardenlady2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 17, 2013
    I had 14 and after a day and a half they already acted crowded in their tub so I divided them into two tubs. They were side-by-side and somewhat see-through plastic tubs. They stayed like this for 3 and a half weeks, and we put them all into the coop at the same time. No problems whatsoever! Everyone instantly got along and started exploring their new home :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by