Can chicks choke on feed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by RooBeeC, Mar 31, 2016.

1. RooBeeC

RooBeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    I got some new chicks a few days ago from my local hatchery. They were all really doing well for the first few days. Last night I noticed one of the chicks was also wheezing and chirping softer then normal. She then started to open and close her mouth continuously. She was not directly under the lamp, so I don't think she was over heating. I even moved her in the brooder and all the other chicks were doing great. I tried to have her drink some water and this made things MUCH worse. She then recovered a bit but is very weak today. She will drink if I help her but she will not walk on her own. Any ideas? I've had so much trouble with my chicks that I can't even explain what is going on!

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    What are you feeding them?

3. RooBeeC

RooBeeC Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2016
    I was feeding them chick starter from a local feed store. It looks well ground, idk whats going on though. She just passed away [​IMG]

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Sometimes chick's do, they simply were not fully developed in the egg. So do not beat yourself up, as long as you have them in a warm environment (90° first week, 5 less the next for 4 weeks), with chick starter feed, and access to water, you are doing it right.
    Have you lost a lot of chicks?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by