Can chicks digest unnatural items?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kelsieann124, Apr 2, 2017.

1. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Yesterday we finished setting up our coop, our oldest chicks are about 4 weeks old, so we are getting close to the time to move them! Today I put them in the coop for a little bit so they could get used to it, and so they could have a break from their brooder. Before I could catch it, i noticed one of my chicks had found a piece of stirafoam and swallowed it whole! The bottom of our coop used to be an old garden, so it is soil. I'm sure there are many more "treasures" in the soil, but I am scared they might hurt the chicks if digested. Is this a huge problem? Or do they digest things fairly well?? They are on grit as well if that helps!

2. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    I don't know about other objects, but mine used to eat foam-board insulation out of the side of an open door. They were about three months old, and nothing bad happened to them. Good luck!

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Chickens go ape over styrofoam. best to cover or remove any styrofoam that they may have access to. But, it's not likely to hurt them. To a chicken, styrofoam is just as good as popcorn.

4. kelsieann124

kelsieann124 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2017
    Arizona
    Hahah! Good to know!! Thank you!!

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    [​IMG] Chickie popcorn.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

7. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I doubt there's a flock anywhere that hasn't eaten at Styrofoam at least once. And every flock owner freaks out the first time it happens. Ditto with silicone caulk. And band-aids. A hen snatched the bandaid off the back of my leg and of course I was worried sick for the next 24 hours. I was on the lookout for it all the next day. I found it, barely recognizable in some poop, sans the gauze pad part. It looked like it had gone through a garbage disposal. That should give you an idea of what happens to "unnatural" items.

However, those are soft materials. Chickens that happen to consume nails, wire, staples, glass, etc, don't fair so well. Even hair from your head or from horses, can end up doing some terrible mischief inside a chicken. It pays to be a good little housekeeper when it comes to your chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by