1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chicks eat ants?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mmtillman, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

I live in MO and we dont have the red ants here...but we do have the standard little black ants that are everywhere....can I give them to my 3 week old chicks? I figured ants would be a good starter bug for them being so small? [​IMG]
    I just dont wanna get ants started in the coop if they wont or cant eat them.....Anyone have experience with this?
    I do get worms out of the compost pile about every other day and treat them with small ones....they go insane over them!!! [​IMG]

2. thechickman04

thechickman04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Cumming, Georgia
    whenever i put baby chicks outside for the first couple of times i will watch them pick out and find every ant they can in the grass and gulp it down and it has never hurt any of them

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I put the chicken tractors right over an ant hill it gets cleared out real fast.

4. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

ok...good! I will go out and scoop up some ants right now...[​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    they can eat them but most don't. they are very bitter tasting.

6. Big Chicken Little

Big Chicken Little Chillin' With My Peeps

Let them eat all they want... it is fun to watch them go after them!!

7. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    or course they can! mine love ants. it's cute watching them grab one and run away with the others chasing!

8. Hillbilly Rooster

Hillbilly Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Middleville, Michigan
    Heck if you dont watch the stinkers they will eat plastic, styrophom, and anything else you dont want them to eat. Mine will chase things like a dog if it blows threw the yard.

9. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    tug of war with a worm [​IMG]

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My chickens dug and scratched until they got every single ant out of a hill that some really stupid ants decided to build in the middle of a chicken yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by