Can chicks eat scratch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Oct 8, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Can 6 to 9 week old chicks eat scratch or are the pieces too big?

2. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    sure they can , but some kind of higher protein pellet/crumble would be better option to maxium their growing potential. But i see nothing wrong with feeding them scratch or just toss a handful on the ground every now and then for them to snack and scratch hence the name. But i done it before feeding only scratch till adult and some times they can be quite picky and only eat the red seeds(milo) and leave behind most of the corn.

3. debchick

debchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2012
    Missouri
    Hey Roxanne I've been giving mine a handful since they were oh 4-5 weeks old they pick through what they want they expect it everyday LOL

4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks all for the info from everyoneGood thye can eat some...
    . I meant if i ran out of their crumbles and hadnt gotten to the store yet...could they eat scratch for a day
    an aside....that milo...the little brown round seeds is it ? i have NEVER had a chcken or wild bird even eat that stuff
    Its always left.
    .Wish they would as it seems like the majority of whats in the scratch i get.

5. bluenkimchi

bluenkimchi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2012
    wow yours don't like the milo, mines just love it and pick through it.same with my pigeons and if your out of crumble for a while scratch is fine.

6. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Wellso far none have. Maybe these babies will start a new tradition as the milo eatersOk good scratch is fine Icant give them the big girl crumbles because its layer feed and too much calcium i heard. Seems im always out of one or the other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by