Can Chicks Fly Out of the Brooder Top?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BerrytangleFarm, Mar 15, 2011.

1. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

I have 23 2.5-week-old chicks in a 2'-high brooder sitting on the garage floor. Normally I have hardware wire on the top of it, but a wasp decided to crawl inside, so me and my irrational fear threw the hardware wire out the garage door, slammed the door, and have no desire to chase the wasp out of it.

Can I leave the chicks overnight without the hardware wire on the top without them flying out?

2. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have some not quite 1week old, they are already scaring me. I would not take a chance on ones that old they get around pretty good.

3. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2009
    Carlsbad, CA
    They will eventually be able to get out, it all depends on how fast they are feathering. Some can fly by 2.5 weeks, some at about 4 weeks. Good luck.

4. incubatingisfun

incubatingisfun Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2009
    Alaska
    I would not risk it I had one of my chicks jump out and chill to death it was terrible

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Oh they can definetly fly out at 2 1/2 weeks!! I'd go take on the wasp!! [​IMG]

6. Frenchy chick

Frenchy chick Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2009
    Mine jumped and always tried to escape. I would think they would kill the wasp ?

7. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

Okay. Fear conquered. For now. Wire's back on top, but now I'm wondering how the heck (well, that's a watered down version, anyway) did that thing get in my garage and did it bring company?!

And I'd LOVE to have them kill the bleepin' wasp! They shoulda done it before I got there!

8. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    they will jump out but most of all would eat the wasp they love live bugs

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    YES they can get out, don't risk it.

10. Suechick

Suechick Chillin' With My Peeps