Can chicks get furball? ... Eating dog and cat fur

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Esmeralda, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Out Of The Brooder

Oct 16, 2013
    My chicks are 3 weeks old and spend a lot of time with the dog... They have gone from picking the occassional cat/dog hair from my clothes, and the sheet I put over the floor, to picking loose hairs straight from the dog. Unless they actually pull on one of his chin whiskers, he doesn't move. Should I be worried that these will clog their digestive system like a cat with a furball? [​IMG]
    Has anyone actually had a problem with this?

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    what a pretty dog. love the eyes. i have not had this experience but i would think if they ate too much it could cause an impacted crop. are the eating grit yet?

3. Esmeralda

Oct 16, 2013
    Yes, they have both just click and dried garden soil with small pebbles and rocks in it, in a Tupperware dish. They pick through it and dust bath.
    I can do a better job of using a lint brush on the sheets and my clothes, but it's hard to keep them from picking up the dog. She is the best call "hen", he keeps them contained to a small area, otherwise they would be through the whole house and the cat would eat them.

4. Esmeralda

Oct 16, 2013
    Not- just click - chick grit - should have checked what the voice recognition program was typing

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by