Can chicks get pressure sores?

luckychick105

Songster
6 Years
May 4, 2017
Ireland
My chick had to be isolated because he was to weak to walk and still is! He seems to be very sore at his legs and knees! What's wrong?
hmm.png

My chick had to be isolated because he was to weak to walk and still is! He seems to be very sore at his legs and knees! What's wrong?
hmm.png
Hi
frow.gif
Welcome To BYC

How is your chick doing?
How old is he?
Can you post some photos of the sores on his legs?
Any other symptoms - runny poop with mucous or blood, congestion (sneezing, coughing), runny eyes, mucous from the nostrils, etc.?

If you have vet care available that would be best.

Otherwise, keep your chick warm and hydrated. Offer some poultry vitamins in his water and see that he is eating.

Without seeing the legs and knees, it's hard to know what's going on, so will wait to see if you have any photos. Keep him on clean dry bedding. If he can't get up/move around, pressure sores are a possibility, there are also some illnesses that can present with sores on the hocks as well (Mycoplasma synoviae). You may wan to make a chick chair to place him in for short periods of time, this will get him upright.

Here is one I found at Poultry Podiatry - to give you an idea of how to make a chick chair (Reference site: https://sites.google.com/a/larsencreek.com/chicken-orthopedics/)
chick%20chair.jpg

Back
Top Bottom