Can chicks get to big in eggs,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloomnbeauty, Oct 27, 2008.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    In my last hatch some of the eggs were pipped but chicks didn't hatch. When I opened the eggs I found chicks that looked like they were to big to turn and zip. Any ideas what would cause that? I have another batch in the bator and would like to prevent this happening again.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Sometimes they can get stuck b/c they're too big or b/c they have a deformity/weakness that causes them not to be able to turn around all the way. I've had to help a few out here and there, so just keep an eye on them and intervene as necessary.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
  4. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

WOW, what wonderful information. Thanks Jody

5. citychickers

citychickers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    Littleton Colorado
    That information is AMAZING! WOW! Thank you for posting that! [​IMG]

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You're welcome. There are several of those links inside the sticky at the top of the page. I highly encourage folks who are new to hatching to read them. They all have great info for incubating and hatching. I especially love this one.. http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension%20publications/b6092.pdf
    I
    keep a copy in my incubation tracking binder and it is with me for all of my hatches. Even if I don't refer to it as much as I used to, I find it very helpful when I doubt myself.

Jody

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I had some pullet eggs which were much smaller than normal size for the breed that the chicks could not get positioned to hatch. The only survivors are the ones I helped out of their eggs.

8. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Quote:Excellent link! I printed copies for both of my daughters and myself...incubating, hatching and raising chickens are all part of school this year!

Thanks Jody!

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Ditto, same thing happened to me. It was what was sent to me, not my choice [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by