Can chicks get too hot?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by californiachick74, Apr 28, 2008.

1. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Just wondering...can chicks get too hot? I live in So cal. and our spring has turned into summer the past few days with temps up too 98 degrees. Today when I got home from work and running errands I went out to check on my chicks I noticed they all were panting. I figure they pant like dogs do to help keep themselves cool but can the extreme heat kill them? Is there anything I can do besides provide shade and water?

2. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    yes chicks can overheat but if they have effecient water they should be fine

3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    You can fill 2 litre coke bottles with cold water, put them in the freezer and put one or two in the pen. (Depending on how many chickens you have). They will cool off by laying near it and if it gets too cold they will move away from it. Always keep two (or whatever) in the pen and two in the freezer, (When its hot of course), so you will always have them on hand. [​IMG] Hope this helps!

4. farmertank

farmertank Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2007
    Linden TN
    you can also feed them things like watermelon. The juices are good for them and will help them rehydrate. You will need to change the water so it's cold at least a couple time of day. I have even put ice cubes in the water to keep it cooler longer. Shade is the best thing. in there coop a fan blowing in and a fan blowing out helps circulate the air. You can also make a mister out of your hose. You will be surprised how much they will enjoy the spray when they are hot.

5. californiachick74

californiachick74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern California
    Great ideas. Thank you! I will try and convince my husband to install misters inside their "condo" . Im just worried about the 110 degree temps that are coming in the next few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by