Can Chicks go outside a week early

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Poultrybonkers, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    of do they have to stay in
    my chick will be 8 weeks jan 7 can i put them outside now? the temps at night are low 20

2. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    It depends on what you mean by "outside" - will they still have a heat lamp, or will they be totally unheated? What is the coop like?

3. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    I put my day-old chicks out in the chicken house - but I have a heat lamp over the brooder pen - and for the first couple weeks, I keep a cardboard frame around the wire to make sure no drafts hit them when I open the door. At 8 weeks when they're fully feathered out, they go into the grow-out pen - no heat at all, and they do fine.

4. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    if they have never been outside...you need to acclimate them to the weather temps....i wouldnt just throw then out in 20ยบ temps when they havent been use to that before

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    They have to be fully feathered out and have a heat lamp and housing to block wind. I'd keep them in the garage or a barn.

6. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    not outside but in the chicken coop with the others how old do they need to be before they dont need a heat lamp?

7. PixieChixie

PixieChixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    It's not just a matter of age- you can't just take chicks from under a heat lamp into 20 degree weather. It will be too much of a shock.

8. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    If the others are hens, you shouldn't keep them together yet. The hens will beat them pretty hard or even to death. Like someone said above, it they are not acclimated to the cold at first I'd keep a heat lamp on them. After they have been out there for a month you could probly take it off unless you see them huttling under it. Use your best judgement.

9. kjxoxo1

kjxoxo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    I'll tell you what I did but I'm not an expert just a first timer. I had 65 chickens/guineas in my house and yes I was about to go crazy!! The odor, the dust, the flying,,,,,whole nine!!! I didnt do enough research or I guess pay attention to what I was reading!!!! At 4 weeks the chicks had enough of me and I enough of them. I placed them in their coop with two brooder lights. I closed them in the coop with water and food of course..... 3-4 days later I opened up the coop door and they went out to the run but would not go back into the coop... I put a brooder light in the run and said a prayer as I could not get them back into the house....the brooder light outside has since been turned off and my chicks are just fine. They absolutely love it outside ( they could climb inside if they want and some did come and go). I have about 5 that absolutely will not go outside but stay around the brooder light so I will keep this light on for another two-3 weeks gradually decreasing to one brooder lamp inside and then taking out the last one.

I did it because I could not take it anymore. I was having a major breakdown and it doesn't help that I'm a germophobe. I have read where others have placed theirs outside on day 3. I would make sure the drafts are minimal. Temps here at night have been low 30's. One night was in the 20's.

This is just what I did,,,,hope it helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by