1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Can chicks have any fruit or veggies?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Denisejmdk, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Denisejmdk

Denisejmdk Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2015
    Florida
    I have silkies that are 4 weeks old and buffs that are 3 weeks old. Can I feed them fruits or veggies?

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Yes, in small quantities, as long as you also provide grit. Mary

3. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, I'd feed them starter food only - it is fully balanced nutritionally speaking. Having said that, it will not do any harm if you follow the suggestion made by Mary.

Ct

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You certainly can. If they were being raised by a broody she would be feeding them fruits and veggies at that age if they were available. But that broody would also make sure they had grit. Mary is right, grit is important.

CT also makes a very good point. The majority of their food should the regular chicken feed. It’s a balanced diet and they really don’t need anything else. If you feed them too much fruit or veggies it can upset that basic balance. How much is too much? A rule of thumb is if they can clean it up in 15 to 20 minutes, you ae doing fine.

5. qteymom

qteymom New Egg

Dec 30, 2015
    Leeds, alabama
    I have silkies also- they love pumpkin "guts" watermelon, tomatoes, oatmeal.... you name it, they love it!!

6. CoopedUpChicken

CoopedUpChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2015
    I once gave one of my puppies a pigs ear - and she had the squirts all over the wall!!!

I gave my pullets watermelon this past summer and they got pretty runny and squirty too.

So, as with introducing new food to any creature, only introduce one new food at a time in small quantities.
    And only introduce a new food every other day - that way you can gauge how well they respond to it.

Signed,
    Learned my Lesson Twice!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by