Can chicks have MORE than 1sq ft per chick???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Penske, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    We knew that our brooder would be too small for our 13 chicks once they reached 2 weeks old (which will be Monday). They are VERY rambunctious and flying all over the place!

Our coop now has electricity. It's well built, draft-free and insulated on the 4 walls. The sq. footage is 71 sq ft. Can they chicks have access to the whole space??????? We will hang ceramic emitters and a white light (wattage depends on what is needed)

We are also trying to figure out a way to section off the coop floor--just wanted to check before we re-create the wheelonce again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lisa

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    They can have as much room as you want, as long as they still have the heat lamp source where they can get under, and it's a fairly draft free area.

They probably will all congregate together at first, but soon enough they will be flying all over the place.

Oh, and when you hang the heat lamp, be sure to not JUST use the clamp, but also loop the cord over something so if the clamp comes loose, the cord will catch the lamp so it won't catch your shavings on fire.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Chillin' With My Peeps

Lisa! Where is the picture of the well built coop? We need pictures!!!

4. Penske

Penske Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I have posted some pics under the coop design section, there are pics of the roosts, vents, windows and nestboxes. From that you can get a good idea of the inside. I'll get some exterior shots when the fencing is complete. My DH really out-did himself! [​IMG]

About the space, I thought they needed to be corralled into a smaller space.

What I think we've figured out is to use the space under the roosts (3.5' x 5.5'). I removed the droppings board and will make it a wall on the long side and use a smaller piece to close in the short end. The roosts will support door screens to keep them in the space. Re-purposing of space! Once they get a bit bigger, they can have the whole coop.

At two weeks old, after a few nights in their new brooder, can I
    switch to all ceramic emitter bulbs and not use the white bulb? Will they find their water and food in the dark???

Full of questions...yes, I am a newbie!!!

Thanks for your help!

Lisa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by