Can chicks have treats? If so what kind?

willowbranchfarm

Chicken Boots
12 Years
Oct 3, 2011
Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Mine are two weeks old today and I wanted to know if there is any kind of treats I could give them for fun and to help in taming them. If there is then what kind? . Thanks:)

The first treat I ever give mine are scrambled or boiled eggs. If you haven't been feeding them grit then you shouldn't give them anything that isn't soft. They also love yogurt, and cottage cheese.

The cooked and crumbled eggs, or yogurt are both handy. as is the tip about grit. You'll want to see that they have access to it (whether from pecking out of doors, or as free choice apart from their feed). They'll need the grit to be able to digest anything large or not readily water soluble.

Mealworms and crickets make for interesting treats that satisfy the dinosaur in them.

Agreed with the eggs, cheese (mine like fresh mozzerella)...I also give canned sweet corn, which they go bonkers over, but must give with grit. Muy importante.

If you haven't already, and you REALLY want to treat them to something, I'd suggest putting a pan of sand in the brooder.
I use play sand from Lowes/Home Depot and put it in a lasagna pan, but you can use any shallow container. The chicks LOVE to take dust baths in it (and you'll love watching them!)
It also provides grit for them, and they seem to instinctively know when/if they need it.

Then, you could also begin to treat them to dried mealworms (which can be found online or at pet stores or the bird seed section of Lowes.)
They are abolutely chicks' number one favorite treat, and have helped to make my girls so tame that they will climb all over me for them!

Mine also love anything green. Alfalfa sprouts, brussels sprout leaves, chopped up celery (really fine), clover from the garden, as well as oats (mine prefer them uncooked).

Mine don't like boiled eggs
sad.png
but love, love, love yogurt and mealworms.

Scrambled eggs are ok from hatching. Actually saved my Silkiie Sisters lives when they were babies and wouldnt eat their feed. They were in pretty bad shape and the eggs gave them the energy they needed to get around and eat for themselves. The eggs are mega nutritious.

Think about a hen hatching chicks---from a couple of days they follow her around and eat bugs, seeds, green stuff and whatever she fiends for them. Off dirt, thus their first grit. By two weeks so long as they have access to grit (you cab buy chick grit or you can use the stuff for parakeets) you can give them all kid of things. I tell you what is really fun ----cooked spaghetti. Worm training.
smile.png
Chopped clover. lettuce, tomatoes, tuna, thawed frozen corn, strawberries......again think WWMHD. What Would Momma Hen Do
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom