Can chicks have treats? If so what kind?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by willowbranchfarm, Oct 11, 2011.

1. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Mine are two weeks old today and I wanted to know if there is any kind of treats I could give them for fun and to help in taming them. If there is then what kind? . Thanks:)

2. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    The first treat I ever give mine are scrambled or boiled eggs. If you haven't been feeding them grit then you shouldn't give them anything that isn't soft. They also love yogurt, and cottage cheese.

3. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    The cooked and crumbled eggs, or yogurt are both handy. as is the tip about grit. You'll want to see that they have access to it (whether from pecking out of doors, or as free choice apart from their feed). They'll need the grit to be able to digest anything large or not readily water soluble.

Mealworms and crickets make for interesting treats that satisfy the dinosaur in them.

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Agreed with the eggs, cheese (mine like fresh mozzerella)...I also give canned sweet corn, which they go bonkers over, but must give with grit. Muy importante.

5. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    If you haven't already, and you REALLY want to treat them to something, I'd suggest putting a pan of sand in the brooder.
    I use play sand from Lowes/Home Depot and put it in a lasagna pan, but you can use any shallow container. The chicks LOVE to take dust baths in it (and you'll love watching them!)
    It also provides grit for them, and they seem to instinctively know when/if they need it.

Then, you could also begin to treat them to dried mealworms (which can be found online or at pet stores or the bird seed section of Lowes.)
    They are abolutely chicks' number one favorite treat, and have helped to make my girls so tame that they will climb all over me for them!

6. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

I give mine and their mama BOSS....she can then teach them to scratch and hunt for the little black "bugs". It's fun to watch and they love them so!

7. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Mine also love anything green. Alfalfa sprouts, brussels sprout leaves, chopped up celery (really fine), clover from the garden, as well as oats (mine prefer them uncooked).

Mine don't like boiled eggs [​IMG] but love, love, love yogurt and mealworms.

8. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Thanks for all the help:) Are those treats ok for my two week old chicks?

9. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Scrambled eggs are ok from hatching. Actually saved my Silkiie Sisters lives when they were babies and wouldnt eat their feed. They were in pretty bad shape and the eggs gave them the energy they needed to get around and eat for themselves. The eggs are mega nutritious.

10. billfields

billfields Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2009
    East Tennessee
    Think about a hen hatching chicks---from a couple of days they follow her around and eat bugs, seeds, green stuff and whatever she fiends for them. Off dirt, thus their first grit. By two weeks so long as they have access to grit (you cab buy chick grit or you can use the stuff for parakeets) you can give them all kid of things. I tell you what is really fun ----cooked spaghetti. Worm training. [​IMG] Chopped clover. lettuce, tomatoes, tuna, thawed frozen corn, strawberries......again think WWMHD. What Would Momma Hen Do [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by