1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

can chicks live in a glass terrarium?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gel2727, May 8, 2009.

1. gel2727

gel2727 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    CT
    Or will it get too hot in there/not enough air?

There are 4 chicks, a few days old, the terrarium is about 28" x 12". I have a big box for them when they get bigger, but wanted to know if this would be ok for now (they are in a cardboard box right now). I have a cover for the terrarium which is like a screen door type thing. Do you think that would provide enough ventilation? Thank you.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

first of all how old will these chicks be and how big is it. Also what will you be useing for a heating source and is it going to be covered in anyway. I wouldn't worry to much about ventalation if the tank is left uncovered.

3. mayapooh

mayapooh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2008
    Kern River Valley, CA
    Hey... congrats on the new chicks! I've successfully raised a variety of chicks (and one duck LOL) in a standard 10 gal. aquarium. I used a clip-on, flexible neck desk lamp for heat, which worked out really well since I could move and adjust it to keep the temp right (I had a digital thermometer at chick level in there so no guesswork.) There wasn't a problem with airflow, since I also used the screen type lid, but I also cleaned it out often so odors wouldn't build up. We kept ours in the bathroom... lol

Edited: My chicks were bantam, and the most I kept in there at one time was five. Less is definitely better, since they outgrew it really fast, but for those first critical few weeks it worked great - and being glass, it's super easy to clean.

Last edited: May 9, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by