Can chicks see red light?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by gel2727, May 13, 2009.

1. gel2727

gel2727 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    CT
    I hope this question doesn't sound too silly, but can chicks see red light? I know lizards can't so I'm curious. I have a red bulb on my chicks in the basement and I turn the light on during the day so they have more light. When I turn the white light off, they still look like they can see....but I just don't know. Thanks..[​IMG]

2. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    All I know is when I leave the red light on in their coop at night, they don't settle down like they do if there is no light.

3. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Yes, they can see it, see in it. They prefer red light bulbs to white - I played around putting on in each end of their brooders for awhile. LOL.

While they can learn to settle at night with a red light, all chickens old enough to sleep without it, do sleep better than brooders with light.

They also prefer red light to a heated kennel pad (no light) as a heat source. Though elevating the heat pad so they can get under it produced good results.

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    AS mentioned, the red is more soothing and yes it provides them light to see by.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by