Can Chinese Ringneck pheasants fly?

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by Gyoza, Mar 4, 2012.

1. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    I'm planning on getting some Chinese Ringneck pheasant. Can they fly or are they like chickens can only fly 3 feet into air?

2. i dont know anything about pheasents but im gonna take a guess

their like japanse bantams, not actually a flying birdie but can fly WELL

this is my guess [​IMG]

3. birdboy15

birdboy15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Falmouth, Michigan
    Yes, pheasants fly.

4. utah impeyan

utah impeyan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    central utah
    Is this some sort of trick question? Of course they can fly. And fly fast, far, high.

5. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Oh no. Can they be grounded by trimming their 'flying feathers'?

I was hoping to free range them :/

6. njeggvt

njeggvt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2009
    If you don't know anything about pheasants, then why do you reply. I don't mean to pick on you but there are more and more posts on this forum that start off with ..."I don't know about... or I don't have BLANK but..." If you don't know or have any knowledge on the subject, don't comment just listen & learn.

7. cause i hunt them, and i have seen them fly, they always went to the trees, so i could never tell how good of flyers they were, and I figured that wild ones would fly the same as 'tame' ones since pheasents arent domesticated

8. countrybuffs

countrybuffs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Silverton, Oregon
    Yes they can fly. I don't think you could free range them. We put some under a broody hen once and she raised them very well, but as soon as they could fly, they all left and never came back. The hen was quite broken-hearted! I think they just stay wild.

9. Gyoza

Gyoza Out Of The Brooder

Sep 29, 2011
    Okay that's not good. Would trimming their flying feather do? If not I guess it's time to consider putting up overhead netting.

10. utah impeyan

utah impeyan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2011
    central utah
    Trimming feathers will only make them run as far as they would of flown. Plus it will be easy for predators to get them. There is absolutly no way to free range a pheasant. Get a fully covered pen. Or don't get pheasants.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by