Can citrus hurt geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by bel, Aug 20, 2010.

1. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    The goose pen was expanded again, and now goes to an area under my orange and lemon trees. Oranges and lemons in the tree where I cant reach by hand or with the pole picker sometimes fall so I have to go pick them up, well I went to pick up an orange and turned it over to find it was goose bites on the peel. Next day I picked another orange up and found a goose bill sized hole straight through the center and most the contents nibbled out. Then I caught Loudmouth working on a lemon, biting away at the peel, sometimes it would fall over and he would flip it back around so he could bite the same spot to work his way to get at the center. Should I worry or just let him enjoy them?
    Thanks,
    bel

2. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans Out Of The Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    Due to the high acidic content in citrus it is not recommended for any animals to consume large quantities of it. However, one every once in a while is not going to kill them. Our geese liked the grapefruits the neighbor kids chucked over our fence and ate a couple. I would try and collect the majority of the fruit as I would not recommend them as part of the diet nor as snacks but a couple of missed ones won't hurt them.

~Beans

3. bel

bel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    East bay
    Thanks, I will try and get them before the geese can, fortunately its end of the season for the orange tree so there are less.

4. justanotheramy

justanotheramy Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2010
    My goose regularly eats my citrus trees down to a stump -- 8 years later they're no taller than they were when I first brought them home from the garden shop and planted them. But neither the trees nor the goose are dead, so...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by