Can City Commissioners do this?

ChooksinChoppers

Crowing
12 Years
Mar 24, 2011
Ocala, Florida.
Refuse to even put a code change issue on the agenda for hearing? We havnt even had a chance to speak at a public hearing. Last hearing they had was a closed session (no public get to speak) So far they have done nothing except listen to a bunch of HOA people who collected 600 signatures from ONLY people in that community and I presume they have seen the several news and TV reports that only reported the issue in a negative light. I was totally frustraited with all the news pieces done as it didnt matter what Dianna or I said they cut out ALL the best parts (showed us and our chickens with a voice over) and then showed president of HOA saying his piece about how horrible chickens are, dirty smelly, lowering property values etc........ Grrrrrrrr!
We have over 700 signatures from ALL over Lee county....no mention of that of course.
Only one commissioner is on our side and actually wants chickens himself, he voted to look into it more and the other 4 didnt.
How can one HOA community tell the rest of this HUGE county what they can and cant do? And the commissioners not even giving us a chance to speak?
Several of those commisioners are up for re election...we know they are not getting our vote for sure

You might have to look at the city charte to see if closed meeting are allowed or if they have to (by law) aloow open discussion.
Where I live, it's open but the council limits a citizen to a mere 3 minutes. A few months ago, an old guy didn't stop at 3 and they had him forcibly removed from the building and threatened a charge of trespassing. After the uproar, most of the council decided not to seek re-election.

Keep questioning your elected officials and remind them that they serve you

The most ridiculous part is that the HOA's and condo commandos in deed restricted communities can outlaw them in their own communities without fighting the county laws. Just a lot of retired people with nothing else to do but dictate rules on others
sad.png

Quote:
And this is exactly why I will NEVER live anywhere there is an HOA! I will (God willing) live the rest of my life on my couple of acres (unless I can buy more) in peaceful harmony with my animals.
I would say to do your research, like RaZ said. Could be they are breaking their own laws by having closed meetings & have only gotten away with it because no one has ever called them on it.

Isn't that in violation of the florida sunshine law....public meetings and records have to be open to the public? You may want to check on that.
ETA: Did you mean closed as in no one could speak or closed no one could attend?

Last edited:
That sucks!

Love your country, Fear your government!

My principal is putting up the same arguments against my proposed Chicken Club. I hate bureuacrats that don't know what the heck they're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom