Can club foot be fixed when it happens to a 2 month old chick?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by farmtotable, Apr 14, 2012.

1. farmtotable

farmtotable Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    My Coop
    Approximately one week ago, one of my two-month-old Silver-Laced Wyndottes seems to have developed a club foot. She was absolutely fine one night when I checked on her, and the next morning I noticed she was limping around. She is eating and drinking normally (I've watched her), and her foot doesn't seem to be getting any worse, but she can't walk on it. Her leg isn't paralyzed because she can bend it, but her toes seem to have all curled up under her "foot" if that makes sense. Has anyone else ever dealt with this problem? I am thinking about bracing it somehow, but I'm not sure how to do it. I would cull her, but she seems healthy other than that and I don't want to do it if it can be fixed. Apart from the whole having to hop around thing, she doesn't seem to be suffering any. The other 17 birds from her group are absolutely fine, so it's not Marek's or anything like that.... The chicks are still in a large brooding area, so she didn't get attached by a predator or fall off of anything. Any ideas would help.

2. bhj123

bhj123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    I see no one has responded to this post so I wanted to ask you what you ended up doing with this bird?

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This sounds like a riboflavin (Vitamin B2) deficiency which can be treated with poultry vitamins in the water. Avian Super Pack is a good brand online. For a temporary solution I would dissolve a B complex tablet in a gallon of water.

4. bhj123

bhj123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2013
    What does that do? Won't her toes remain under her foot?

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by