Can cockerel injure pullet? chasing and mounting 16 wks olds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by elite8, Jul 6, 2010.

1. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    I have two cockerels and 6 pullets. Two of the pullets are 16 wks old and the rest 18. I have recently noticed one of the cockerels chasing some of the pullets. He grabs them on the back of their neck and it looks like he is trying to mount them. He did mature fast and was crowing at 8 wks. Can he injure the pullets if they are not fully grown? Thanks for the info

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    I can't wait to hear this answer because my 15 week old has already started mounted the little girles! Their between 15 - 19 weeks old!!

Missi

3. Chickenmaven

Chickenmaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2009
    Michigan
    Naaaa!

The margarine commercial said, "Don't mess with Mother Nature." (I am totally dating myself, here.) Seriously, Nature programs them & it works out. Don't overthink this chickentending thing or attribute upper-middle class Montesori standards of behavior to these raptors. IMHO - They do what they do. Intervene to save a life, otherwise stay out of the fray,

Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Amen. [​IMG]
    ETA: When the pullets get a little bit older they'll learn how to get mated without ever letting go of the tasty treat they have their beaks; like mine do.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  5. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    My testosterone-riddled Red Pyle Brahma pinned an 8 week old Dark Brahma pullet down yesterday. She was not amused.

I may have to limit his or their range if he continues to behave in this way!

Sandie

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  6. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    If they're big enough, they're old enough. Give the pullets room so they aren't constantly harassed and they'll be fine. Just worry about your teenagers, let the chickens be chickens.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  7. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Mine free range over 6 fields, but the Red Pyle Brahma roo does not object to 'cradle snatching'

Sandie

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:If the pullets have enough room to manuveur, they'll quickly learn to dodge the cockerels. [​IMG]

9. elite8

elite8 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2010
    40/42 North Carolina
    Thanks again for the help. I'll let them do what they do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by