Can Corn Suddenly Make White Feathers Yellow?

Bantam Username

Songster
8 Years
Aug 3, 2011
Wiltshire, UK
I was told that my cockerel's feathers are going yellow because he eats corn, is this possible?
He's been on corn etc ever since he stopped having chick crumb but he's only been going yellow in the last 2 or 3 weeks.
I was thinking it was due to using sand as his dust bath which I only set up about 3 or 4 weeks ago.
Anyway, is it possible for corn to turn their feathers yellow?

His saddle feathers and the feathers on his backside are still white, its just his head, neck and chest that are yellow.
I'll try changing to white sand first and see if that helps first as he won't eat pellets, only the corn/seed mix and as I don't drive, I can't get anywhere to get different feed for him.
sad.png

If you aren't showing him does it matter if he is getting brassy? I don't think they sand would have anything to do with it, more likely the sun & the corn together.

We never saw it with my mom's white rocks or leghorns and that flock availed themselve to whatever the horses dropped or did not digest. {does nasty things to flies!} and that was besides what was in the feeder..the level of corn for the horses would have increased in winter. The hens also would help themselves to the corn we fed to some hogs. Where we saw the yellow was in the eggs. yum!

Back
Top Bottom