Can Cornish Rocks Be Laying Hens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KnoxvilleGirl, Feb 22, 2014.

1. KnoxvilleGirl

KnoxvilleGirl New Egg

Nov 9, 2013
    Knoxville, Tennessee
    A friend of mine swears that her parents have two Cornish Rocks who are excellent laying hens. She says they not only lay eggs several times each week for the past year, but that the eggs are almost always jumbo double yolks. I'm new to chickens but from what I've read, Cornish Rocks aren't event likely to live to maturity if they aren't butchered for meat by 12 weeks or so. So is it possible for this breed to be kept as good laying hens or is my friend probably mistaken about what kind of chickens her parents have?

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Yes they can live that long but they are poor layers of white eggs. I wouldn't rely on their eggs for breakfast every morning. Cornish rocks can life a long productive life without health issues if they are cared for properly. They are bred to eat non stop so if you want them to live without health issues they need to be free ranged and restricted feed. Best way to tell if they are cornish rocks (unless bred and hatched at home) is to put a feed bowl down, if they fight you to get to it and lick it clean then they are cornish rocks. She may have regular cornish. The regular cornish (not broilers or hybrids) lay quite a few eggs and don't have the eating disorder.

3. lizanne

lizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Citrus Heights, Ca
    I had one I kept around last year. She was a really good layer (for a while). She probably laid 5x a week, and laid big (often double yoked) eggs. She started laying around 20 weeks, and stopped laying at around 8 months old. We ate her for thanksgiving dinner. She was over 14 pounds (after processing).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by