can cornish x be raised on turkey grower?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by mrs_ed, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    25 cornish arriving week of feb 22, local stock shop says they can order me turkey grower, otherwise they dont carry meat bird food. will this food work or is protein too high? anyone used this feed for cornish x?

2. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We don't raise cornish crosses but do raise other dual-purpose meat birds.

We either feed them turkey grower or a product called "meat maker" that is actually made for pigs, but it was recommended to me by a fellow in a feed store who swears by it, feeds it to all his meaties. We tried it & the chooks love it, and we are in agreement that it makes them meatier and tastier.

3. dadof4

dadof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2008
    mississippi
    That's what I use from start to finish. the one I use is not medicated.

4. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    If you do, you have to serve them with cranberries and pumpkin pie![​IMG]

5. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland

[​IMG]

And if one says, 'gobble' - I'd get a video of it uploaded to Youtube pronto!

6. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

what percentage is the protein on the "meat maker"?

7. Sundown_Farmer

Sundown_Farmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Non-Chicago, Illinois
    I would guess, since it's for pigs, meat maker would be 16%. I would also guess the turkey grower is 26%. A 26% feed is going to pack a lot of meat on your birdies in a hurry. So much so, you're increasing the chance of broken legs and heart failure. I have given it to broilers I was raising with turkeys but only for the first two weeks.

I would keep shopping around for feed.

8. jessicayarno

jessicayarno Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I started mine on a 25% btg (broiler, turkey, gamebird) feed but dropped down to a 20% broiler grower at 4 wks and didn't have one with leg problem.. Had a few with flip, but that is to be expected... I would not keep them on that the entire time,but it is okay to start them on it.. Oh and I also fed mine 24/7 from start to finish, when i moved them out to their coop, i kept the food outside so most of them went in at night and didn't eat all night long.

9. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    I fed mine turkey starter and then turkey grower, and if I kept them long enough I sometimes switched to turkey finisher. I could not get broiler feed where I use to live and the turkey feed works just fine. I also gave them that supplement Murray McMurray sells that is formulated for Cornish X and turkeys. I think it is called Broiler Booster. You put it in the water and the extra vitamins and such seem to go a long way toward preventing leg and other problems with these birds.

10. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    We've used turkey grower without any issues. And game bird too.

We've also used a corn and soybean meal (probably the same as the meat maker stuff mentioned above) that is for hogs. That worked fine too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by