can coturnix quail get mites from rabbit ear mites?

ohiogoatgirl

Songster
9 Years
Jan 4, 2011
ohio
i have my rabbits and coturnix quail in hutches. two of my does i am now treating for ear mites. i was wondering if my quail could possibly be affected by them? their hutch isnt very close to the hutch with the two does in it but i just was wondering if i should watch them or not just to be sure.
i am working on how to treat the hutch to get rid of the mites or if i will have to find a new one. or if the quail arent affected by them if i could maybe turn that hutch into the quail hutch? but i want to make sure about the quail first.

thanks!

I don't know if quail can get mites from rabbits but I know you can put wood ash into the quail's dust bath and it will kill all mites. That's what I do and they have no mites at all.

For rabbits, bathe them in mineral oil for fur mites (brush the oil on with a basting brush or paint brush), if they persist use Ivermectin as per instructions, use mineral oil for ear mites. For quail add sevin dust to their dust pans. DE is what some people recommend but it is a known respiratory irritant as well.

Last edited:
Hmm... yes i was using oil on the first does ears.. it came back and the doe next to her in the same hutch started with it.. treated both with oil again for much longer.. they both got it back.. so i am using ivermectin on them now.

Thanks i guess i will be hutch hunting. If i need to i will put an extra roo in there maybe if needed until i get to butcher it. Not sure i want to chance them in the hutch though. If i really really really had to i guess i will just be gettin DE to go in their dustbath then.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom